Tuesday, May 31, 2011

#76 Forrest Gump (1994)

I was twelve when this movie came out, and I wasn't allowed to see it. I also wasn't allowed to see Jerry Maguire in 1996 because my parents didn't think I would fully understand either one. Of course my youngest sister Mia was allowed to see anything she wanted by the time she was two. I guess it's a downside of being the oldest child. :)

So since junior high, I've seen this movie a million times, but I've never watched it from the perspective I did the other day, which was to decipher why this movie is on the list. I think possibly the biggest reason is Tom Hanks's acting. He does such an amazing job as Forrest, believably playing a mentally challenged adult and keeping the role light, making Forrest innocently hilarious. It's also very well-written and about every ten minutes of the movie, you'll hear a quote that anyone could identify as a line from Forrest Gump.

I never realized it before, but the special effects in this movie are incredible. Forrest really looks like he met those Presidents and attended basically every historic event of the '60s and '70s. And while it's not a reason to be on the list, soundtracks can very much affect how much I personally enjoy a movie, and The Forrest Gump soundtrack was one of the few tapes my parents had in our car growing up so I knew and loved every song before I even saw the movie. ("Love Her Madly" is still my favorite Doors song.)

Overall, a beautiful, moving story that's so well-acted it certainly earns its spot on the list.

Rating: 10/10

Big Names: Tom Hanks, Robin Wright (Buttercup from The Princess Bride), Sally Field, Haley Joel Osment (this is his second appearance in the list so far... pretty impressive for a little kid)

Big Lines:
Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!

Lieutenant Dan: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest: I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.

Forrest: I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is.

Forrest: I'm sorry I had a fight in the middle of your Black Panther party.

Lieutenant Dan: Where are you boys from in the world?
Forrest & Bubba: Alabama, sir!
Lieutenant Dan: You twins?
Forrest: No, sir. We are not relations.

Jenny: Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away from here.

2 comments:

  1. I got to watch this in school a few weeks ago, and now after having taught US History through that time period, I appreciated it even more, and found it even more funny. If I ever teach US History, this is one movie I will be showing! And the kids will hate me because I will give them an assignment to go along with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this movie would be PERFECT for a US history class....although i definitely would've hated you in high school for being the teacher giving out assignments to go with the movies. :)

    ReplyDelete