Tuesday, December 13, 2011

#67 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

Here's a movie that I'd like to see again. Not because it was pleasant to watch -- because it wasn't (it was painful and exhausting: think War of the Roses) -- but because the ending was so odd that I know that I'd look at the whole movie differently if I saw it a second time.

George and Martha are a middle-aged seemingly unhappily married couple who are entertaining Nick and Honey, a younger, seemingly normal and happy couple, for a night cap after a party. Through the night, you see George and Martha rip each other apart and expose Nick and Honey's marriage for the mess it is.

I started the film knowing absolutely nothing except that it starred Elizabeth Taylor and was 2 hours and 11 minutes. (I had to make sure I had plenty of time to watch the entire thing before going into work.) I kept thinking that the movie felt like a play, and yes, it was a play-turned-film. This movie was much, much more about dialogue and acting than it was about scenery or special effects.

A couple of interesting tidbits: George (Richard Burton) and Martha (Elizabeth Taylor) were married during this film....I wonder how much of a stretch it was to play an unhappy couple. Elizabeth Taylor gained thirty pounds for this movie. Also, all four of the main characters were nominated for Oscars. Martha and Honey both won them... Elizabeth Taylor totally earned hers, but it surprises me that a character like Honey (a mousy, blah, dumb blonde) would be worthy of an Oscar.

Rating: 7/10

Big Names: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton

Big Lines:
George: Good. Better. Best. Bested.

Honey: I want to… put some powder on my nose.
George: Martha, won’t you show her where we keep the euphemism?

4 comments:

  1. Good point. I did not like watching this movie the first time, but now knowing how it ends, it would probably make the movie much more interesting a 2nd time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's already SO many of these I want to see a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! I now own "On the Waterfront", and my wife wanted "The Best Years of Our Lives" as soon as we finished watching it the first time.

    It's a fun hobby we have, huh! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I haven't seen either of those so I'm excited. And I agree... I'm so glad I finally started on this project! :)

    ReplyDelete