Tuesday, March 15, 2011

#86 Platoon (1986)

I've been doing such a good job of going in order lately!

So this is a war movie... a gruesome, disturbing, disgusting war movie. It is different from other war movies that I've seen, though. For one, it's autobiographical. It also doesn't put any sort of positive light on being in a war, and there aren't even any heroes. It's set in the Vietnam War, and unlike the WWII, WWI, or Civil War movies I've seen, you can't even really tell who the "good guys" are supposed to be. I think it was intentional for the director to set it up so that you're confused on who they're even fighting (pretty appropriate for the Vietnam War.)

I like that the director was showing us what I think is a truer version of war.  However, it's still a war movie, and for that, I have to say that while I respect that it's a great movie, I didn't personally enjoy watching it.

Rating: 4.5/10

Big Names: Oliver Stone (writer), Charlie Sheen (pretty impossible to take seriously now, but here's proof that he was once a respected actor), John McGinley (Dr. Cox from "Scrubs"!), Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp (small role)

No comments:

Post a Comment