Tuesday, November 22, 2011

#72 The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Everybody knows this movie. Everyone loves it. If I was using the IMDB top 250 movie list instead of the AFI top 100, this would be the absolute last movie I would watch since it's #1. Sometimes I prefer to dislike things that everyone else likes just because that's so boring and expected, but I can't help it. This is a good movie.

I would recommend if you're one of the 98% of people who "LOVE THIS MOVIE!" then you should also read/see The Count of Monte Cristo. It's a similar movie of redemption, and it's fun cheering for the underdog. I hadn't realized the first time I saw this movie (~10 years ago) that Andy even recommends that book to his fellow inmates.

A random, bizarre thought that I had over and over throughout the film was the Mitch Hedberg joke about the Dufresnes... I guess it's an uncommon name, and the only other reference to a Dufresne I could think of was this one:

"When you go to a restaurant on the weekends, and it's busy, they start a waiting list. They start calling out names, they say, 'Dufresne, party of two. Dufresne, party of two.' And if no one answers, they'll say their name again. 'Dufresne, party of two, Dufresne, party of two.' But then if no one answers, they'll just go right onto the next name. 'Bush, party of three.' Yeah, what happened to the Dufresnes? No one seems to give a shit. Who can eat at a time like this?? People are missing! You're all selfish. The Dufresnes are in someone's trunk right now, with duct tape over their mouths. And they're hungry. That's a double whammy. Bush, search party of three, you can eat when you find the Dufresnes."

Rating: 10/10

Big names: Morgan Freeman, Tim Robbins

Big lines:

District Attorney: And that also is very convenient. Isn't it, Mr. Durfresne?
Andy Dufresne: Since I am innocent of this crime, sir, I find it decidedly *inconvenient* that the gun was never found.

Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment