Tuesday, November 22, 2011

#71 Saving Private Ryan (1998)

I went to see this movie on my very first, non-double, date. We actually left early because my date was concerned he wouldn't get me home in time to make my curfew, so I didn't know how it ended until I saw this yesterday.

At 15, I had decided that I didn't enjoy this movie, but this time around, I loved it. Usually, movies that are set primarily in war zones do not interest me (see my thoughts on Platoon) but this movie had enough story for me to stay interested throughout the entire movie. Even though it was almost three hours long, it flew by. My heart was literally racing in the last battle scene, and upon realizing what would probably happen, I even cried. To me, if a movie can move me in that way, it's a powerful one. It has messages that leave you thinking. What does it take to make one life worth more than another?

Even though this was a fantastic one, I'm excited about my next movie Tootsie, a movie I haven't seen and about which I know nothing. If it's better than this one, it must be awesome, right?

Rating: 10/10

Big Names: Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Vin Diesel (yeah, the guy from those Fast & Furious atrocities,) Ted Danson (who knew?)

Big Lines: 
Captain Miller: James, earn this... earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment