Tuesday, May 8, 2012

#59 Nashville (1975)

While everyone else I know is out watching The Avengers and talking about how amazing it is, I'm at home watching this painfully boring movie. The most exciting parts for me were seeing what Nashville looked like in 1975. I recognized parts of downtown, the airport, and Trav recognized Nolensville Pike.

I didn't mind the country and bluegrass music, and a couple story lines were moderately interesting, but overall, this movie had just too much -- and at the same time, not enough -- going on. There were probably two dozen main characters, so you don't get to know any of them well, but it isn't in a fun way like Love Actually. Mostly the camera is just jumping from character to character, and they're all singing or sitting around talking... about nothing.

I can respect it for saying a lot about the confused state of the nation after Vietnam, Watergate, Kennedy's assassination, but still... eh. I think Easy Rider and The Wild Bunch are still my least favorites on the AFI list, but this one is a close third.

Rating: 4/10

Big Names: Shelley Duvall, Lily Tomlin

2 comments:

  1. This is also at the bottom of my list, with Easy Rider and the Marx Brothers movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Marx Brothers movies are the default least favorite movies for people who watch this list. I'm sure they worked for people back in the day, but no so much now :)

    ReplyDelete