Thursday, February 17, 2011

#95 The Last Picture Show (1971)

For everything that Yankee Doodle Dandy lacked, this movie more than provided. There was (sometimes uncomfortable) infidelity, prostitution, crude language, alcohol, nudity, less-than-likable characters.... I wasn't exactly prepared for that. (In fact, I'm surprised it was only rated R.) All I knew about this movie was that it was set in the early 1950's in a small town in Texas, whose theater is forced to close. Apparently Aranene, Texas, doesn't have a lot going on, so people must find things to keep themselves busy. It was actually a very entertaining movie, but at the end, it left me feeling sad and empty. It's hard to say what the story of the movie is, but it's centered around a town slowly dying, and the residents of the town are lonely, bored, and dying as well. It certainly wasn't the "feel good" movie that Yankee Doodle Dandy was.

I feel about this movie as I feel about The Social Network: It was an interesting movie, but I have a hard time thinking it's Oscar-worthy, and I don't necessarily need to see it again.

Rating: 7/10

Big Names: Jeff Bridges, Cybill Shepherd (her first role...she is gorgeous in this movie, and she had an affair with the married director which led to their divorce), Cloris Leachman, Ellen Burstyn (the mom in the Exorcist), Randy Quaid (just as awkward as in the Vacation movies)

I found this quote by Cybill Shepherd on the movie:
"When a film wraps, the actors often like to keep some of their props or wardrobe as mementos. I wanted the heart-shaped locket and brown and white saddle shoes that Jacy wore, but his wife Polly was in charge of costumes and wouldn't give them to me. I guess she figured I had enough of a souvenir: her husband."

1 comment:

  1. sad and empty....that's how I feel as well, but I did really like it:)

    ReplyDelete