Sunday, February 13, 2011

#98 Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

This was my first musical on the list. James Cagney plays George M. Cohan, a composer, dancer/singer, and playwright who lived in the early 20th century. Cohan was known as the "man who owned Broadway" prior to WWI and focused mostly on patriotic songs and plays. I'm ashamed to admit that even though I knew his songs, I didn't even recognize Cohan's name. With the songs "Yankee Doodle Dandy," "Give My Regards to Broadway," and "You're a Grand Old Flag," you would've thought that in my ten years of piano lessons or six years of band, I would've at least recognized his name.

If this movie was redone now, it wouldn't stand a chance. There's not really any drama, no villains, no drug abuse, no cheating on wives... There was none of the excitement that is present in the biographies that come out nowadays. He was portrayed as a mostly likable person surrounded by family and friends who loved him and didn't seem to do anything wrong, either. It was a "feel good" movie that I think made the list because of James Cagney's impressive (Oscar-winning) acting, singing, and dancing (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZVoisjzmU) and because it started a film biography trend in Hollywood. I would imagine that in the middle of WWII, a patriotic film would probably do well in America, just due to its timing.

In my Wikipedia-ing Cohan, I saw that not everything in the movie is completely accurate. (And you know with Wikipedia, anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject so you know you are getting the best possible information.) He wasn't actually born on the fourth of July, and he was married once before marrying the "Mary" in the movie, who was actually Agnes. Interestingly, I also saw that his sister Josie was married to the silent film producer of the original Ben-Hur. I thought that was pretty timely for me. :)

Rating: 5/10

Big Names: James Cagney

Big Lines: My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, and I thank you.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! This is one of my favorites! Ever since I was little I always try to watch this every Fourth of July. Jesse finally bought it for me a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sar. I can absolutely see little Sarah watching this and singing along. :) Maybe dancing, too?

    ReplyDelete