Saturday, January 28, 2012

#61 Sullivan's Travels (1941)

So far, I have LOVED three movies on this list that I didn't expect to even like: In the Heat of the NightBen-Hur, and Sullivan's Travels.


John Sullivan is a movie director in 1941 who has made a fortune on comedies, but in light of everything going on in the world, now he wants to produce a more serious film (specifically O Brother, Where Art Thou?) His advisers (I guess that's what these people are) remind him that he's always been fortunate. and he knows nothing about pain and suffering so he couldn't possibly create a believable film with a serious story.

He decides to leave Hollywood with ten cents in his pocket and try to survive as a tramp (tramp...as in Little Tramp or hobo...not stamp), but his advisers think this is a terrible idea so they follow him around in their trailer to watch over him. He tries and tries to get away from Hollywood, and when he finally succeeds, he has to devise a clever plan to get back home.

I have to admit that I can identify with Sullivan in this movie. I grew up in a happy family with successful parents, and even though I've never had everything I wanted, I've always had what I needed. My college was paid for by scholarships and my parents, and I've been self-sufficient since I graduated and received my first paycheck. I've not ever dealt with what so many others deal with every day. I think of Haley Dunphy in "Modern Family" when she whines to her mom that she has nothing to write about for her college essay because she's never had to struggle.

I guess what I liked about this movie was that it was fun and silly at the beginning, then we get a bit of a cute romance between Sullivan and the Girl, and towards the end, the movie has a solid message. We all need laughter to get through.

My biggest complaint: For 1941, the Girl's character was pretty strong for a female lead. They really couldn't give her a NAME, though?

Lastly, I really want this movie poster.


Rating: 10/10

Big Names: Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake

Big Lines:
Girl: I liked you better as a bum.
Sullivan: I can't help what kind of people you like.

Hahaha, gotta love a random Pittsburgh slam....
LeBrand: [The movie] died in Pittsburgh.
Hadrian: Like a dog!
Sullivan: Aw, what do they know in Pittsburgh...
Hadrian: They know what they like.
Sullivan: If they knew what they liked, they wouldn't live in Pittsburgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment