Sunday, January 22, 2012

#63 Cabaret (1972)

A musical.... blech, right?.... but this movie was just so bizarre and unexpected that I actually liked it!

Musicals and Westerns are easily my least favorite genres, so I was NOT looking forward to this one. Musicals always feel so artificial and cheesy. This movie handled the musical moments much better than that, though. All the songs were sung at the Kit Kat night club as part of their show, and the director just cut to those clips at the appropriate times in the story. It didn't feel cheesy to me at all. 

Maybe I've been sheltered, but I had no idea what this movie was about or why gay people love Liza Minnelli. Now I totally get it....

Rating: 7/10

Big Names: Liza Minnelli (Lucille 2), Michael York (Basil from the Austin Powers movies.... hottie in this one!), Joel Grey (he played the creepy part perfectly)

Big Lines: I have a favorite line, but it definitely would ruin much of the movie if you're ever planning on watching this.

No comments:

Post a Comment