Saturday, January 28, 2012

#62 American Graffiti (1973)

Harrison Ford is in another movie on this list! First Blade Runner, then Raiders of the Lost Ark, now this, and I know Star Wars must be on here somewhere (probably way too high). This was one of his first roles, and it wasn't really that big of a deal. He had maybe ten minutes of screen time, and I didn't even recognize him at first. He wore a cowboy hat and had an accent. Hilarious.

I had no expectations for this movie. All I knew was the title. It starts out at a drive-in in 1962, and we find out that the four boys talking are celebrating their last night at home before leaving for college. Sounds like a fun start.... I would expect something absolutely crazy to happen. For the movie to be on this list, something crazy must happen. And with all those big names, it's gonna get wild. But it really didn't.

Everything in this movie happens within 24 hours. It's simply the story of these guys' last night in town, who they meet, and what trouble they get into. This guy Josh who I found out is also watching the top 100 movies and blogging about them (I'll absolutely admit he's a much better writer than I am) compared this movie to Can't Hardly Wait. That is a perfect comparison.... even down to the radio station ordeal!

I found it hilarious that what the kids in this town did for fun was cruise around. That was sooooo my hometown. It was the thing for some people to cruise the K-Mart parking lot. I didn't participate except for once as a joke cruising the Taco Bell parking lot with my friend. We blasted some classical music as we did it, too. We were so cool.

So as for whether I think this deserves to be #62 on the list: I don't. I'm not sure why it even made the list besides the fact that it was acted well and had great music. It was a perfectly fun movie, though. Nice and light. Very enjoyable to watch.

Rating: 6/10

Big Names: George Lucas (director), Ron Howard, Cindy Williams (Shirley from "Laverne & Shirley"), Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment