Tuesday, February 19, 2013

#39 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Stanley Kubrick directs four movies on this list: Spartacus (#81), A Clockwork Orange (#70), Dr. Strangelove (#39), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (#15). That's pretty darn good for a director credited with 16 movies. Of the three I've seen so far on this list, I can't believe they're all directed by the same guy. They have such different styles, but I've liked them all.

This one is a short satire (it's the movie where the guy rides the bomb!), and even though I had a hard time getting into it at first, I think I liked this one. I'd like to see it again before I know for sure. I loved the awkwardness of the President. I giggled during this conversation between him and the Soviet leader Dmitri:


Maybe it doesn't work as well when it's not in context, but it was pretty hilarious.

Rating: 6/10

Big Lines: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" #64 on AFI's top 100 quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment