Wednesday, February 13, 2013

#45 Shane (1953)

Another Western.... I've learned this is easily my least favorite genre. I'll admit I had a hard time giving my undivided attention to this movie. I kept wishing it was Little House on the Prairie or really anything else.

It reminded me of the David Allen Coe song, "You Never Even Called Me by My Name." (Thanks, Trav, for exposing me to David Allen Coe.) One verse is said to include all the components of the perfect country-western song: mama, trains, trucks, prison, getting drunk... This movie has all the components of the perfect Western: bullies trying to steal your land, bars, pistols, lack of strong female characters, etc. It seemed very formulaic. Maybe it was the first to put all these components together? I dunno. Regardless, it wasn't very interesting or entertaining to me.

Rating: 2/10

Big Lines: "Shane! Shane, come back!" (#47 on AFI's top quotes)

Big Names: none, but this kid was pretty creepy



1 comment:

  1. I'm one of the few people I know who've seen this one and actually liked it. Your review is good and accurate, but somehow I still enjoyed watching this one.

    ReplyDelete