Monday, February 18, 2013

#44 The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Another rom-com, but a few steps up from It Happened One Night because this one has a love quadrangle... AND a strong female character who is capable of taking care of herself. I really like Katharine Hepburn, even though she basically plays the same character every time.

This is even a step up from most modern-day romantic comedies because I honestly didn't know who she would end up with (I was hoping for Jimmy Stewart the whole time). The ending is a bit bizarre, and if I was Ruth Hussey, I'd be a little more upset if my boyfriend who couldn't propose to me proposed to another girl in my presence.

I've learned that most comedy doesn't age well, but I think Dinah is hilarious. And who doesn't love a little drunken humor? Katharine Hepburn nails it.

Rating: 9/10

Big Names: Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart (he's all over the place on this list!), Virginia Wiedler 

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog Lindsey!! As a movie buff, I find this highly interesting. I am going to preuse your past reviews. I'm from KY as well by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the blog! It's taken me a lot longer than I thought to get through these movies. I've loved it so far, though, and it's been well worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - I'm impressed you've seen so many of these old movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolute Classic - Grant, Stewart, and Hepburn in the same film! A fun note: when Jimmy Stewart is drunk and sits down with Cary Grant, he ad-libbed the hiccup, to which Cary Grant improv-ed "Excuse me". You can see (ever so slightly) both actors trying not to break character and laugh. Great moment. :)

    I would agree that Katherine Hepburn plays the same character in every movie, but what about in "Bringing Up Baby"? I thought that was definitely a different character for her compared to every other movie she's in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True. She was goofy in that one (and I liked that character, too). It's been such a long time since I saw "Bringing Up Baby," and I'd like to see it again. Have you noticed yet that you want to re-watch some of these movies already?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely. We even ended up expanding our DVD collection with some of our favorites from the list, and there are others I've added to our Amazon prime watchlist to see again.

    ReplyDelete